Tulum is the of the most spiritually abundant beach towns I’ve ever experienced in Mexico. It is a perfect place to practice yoga and meditation, while taking in the sights, scents and sounds of the Caribbean ocean. To get around town you can walk or rent a bike or a vintage VWs. We’ve rented a car in Cancun airport (for $10 a day at Hertz!) and drove to Tulum for about hour and a half.
Whether you want to deepen your yoga practice or just enjoy pristine beach and catch some good vibes, Tulum is the place to visit. People are young in heart, happy and relaxed, food is healthy and delicious, water is warm and healing. Everywhere you turn, there’s a reminder that life is beautiful and all we need is love. Tulum is an invitation to enjoy life and the present moment.
There are so many boutique hotels, yoga retreats, spas, open air restaurants, vegan food cafes, and beach clubs to try out. Here’s the short list of my favorite places:
- Be Tulum – is my favorite place in Tulum. You can enjoy good vibes, live music and delicious food while taking a swim in the ocean or a pool, and staying late into the night. This place is adults only and offers an overnight accommodations, as well as walk-ins for the day at the beach ($100 min spend per couple for food and drink) or club at night.
- Nomade Tulum – a neighbor to Be Tulum, a hotel and spa with the similar look and fee. Here’s their mission written on their website, I couldn’t describe it better: “Nomade Spirit… to be in never ending movement, walking this planet, expanding the horizons and landscapes… transforming ourselves to be free from thoughts and judgments.”
- Casa Malca – a luxury resort for dreamers who appreciate art, design and creativity. Casa Malca is a former estate to Colombian drug dealer Pablo Escobar, which was turned into a hotel with luxury amenities and decorated with contemporary art.
- Casa Violetta – another beach club, restaurant, a yoga retreat, all in one. It’s a beautiful, simple, bright and serene place that you can’t help but fall in love with. Their food is delicious and views are breathtaking.
All these places are great to stay at with a nice company of friends or girlfriends, or just your loved one (that I prefer) or even alone (which can also be great and rewarding). These are the places where you can really nourish yourself with high quality vegan food and juices, meditate on the beach, think about life and write a postcard to a friend (or a blog post to your followers ;), all while enjoying the sights, sounds and smells of the ocean.
All these beach clubs I mentioned above have amazing restaurants, but here are few more places where we had an great experience, to add to the list:
- Hartwood is the best restaurant in town, everyone wants to get there, make sure to make reservations ahead of time via email, if you want to take park of this gastronomic experience. If you don’t get it there’s a place right next to it that also has the same vibe, open kitchen and swings at the bar, you won’t miss it.
- Raw Love offers the most amazing vegan acai bowls, juices and vegan deserts.
- MatchaMama is a cute, must stop by, juice bar that offers matcha and kombucha drinks, smooties and vegan ice-cream.